Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Elizabeth Park in Hartford, CT


Neat use of plants, huh? No, I don't know what kind of plants they are.
Being from the desert, I look at all of the green in Elizabeth Park, Bushnell Park and these other places in Connecticut and cringe thinking of the water they use. No, I'm not criticizing. Plants and greenery is a beautiful thing and I salute the creativity of the volunteer gardeners. 

The cringing is thanks to the brainwashing I received as a young man from characters like Pete the Beak and Tucson Water's Beat the Peak program. Why we received such good brainwashing in the 70s and 80s that Tucson was able to grow to over a million residents despite highly marginal water supplies.

This is Pete the Beak. "Save that water, kids!"

In Army basic training you could tell who came from the desert every morning when we were brushing our teeth and shaving. The guys from southern California and Arizona shut off the water at the sink until they needed to wash off their toothbrush or razor. Guys from Pennsylvania and places like that let it run. I know that if Pete the Beak saw that he'd have done some serious ass kickin' and peckin'.

I took lots of flower pictures too but those are on the web all over the place. 


No comments: