Monday, September 15, 2008

Back from CT

I had a friend from Europe who said this about the United States: "No matter where you go it's always the same." 

Now, to be fair, we were driving from the deserts of southern California to the desert of southern Arizona by way of Las Vegas at the time he said this. Of course he was still making a gross generalization. There's differences in scenery between those deserts though I understand it's not going to be as drastic as, say, the difference between France and Germany.

Today, if he and I were talking, I might mention duckpin bowling as one of the differences between parts of the United States. To all of my friends in the west who've never heard of duckpins, it's this thing they do in the northeast. It's like regular bowling but much harder. They use these little bowling balls like the ones by my daughter in this picture.

No comments: