Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This is a scene from Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts. When you go there you're supposed to feel like you're in a place from a long time ago. Most of the actors stay in character and, in a way, you do feel like you're somewhere else in another time. This tinsmith was excellent!

Right before this picture was taken I'd seen a show that had music from the 1840 presidential campaign between Martin Van Buren and William Henry Harrison. I learned that was, in many ways, the first modern presidential campaign. Before 1840 they used to feel that it was beneath their dignity to campaign for office.

Now I can honestly say that it's beneath anyone's dignity when Barak Obama and John McCain talk about anything except the very serious issues that are facing the United States. That's one way in which, I personally wish we could return to 1836 or somewhere before. 


Crafts is another one of the activities they offer at Old Sturbridge Village. Here, Georgia and Katya are making metal candleholders and I'm gazing thoughtfully at my paper cup wondering what I would do without straws and paper cups in my world. How could they drink back then?

No comments: